Monday, September 12, 2011

I've Got A Trunk Full of Diaries!

What do you want to be remembered for?

What if some tidbit from our lives was to end up in a book after we die?  And what if that book with your story in it was read as frequently as the bible is?  And, what if your story impacted people’s lives to the same degree that people and stories in the bible do – either positively or negatively?  What would you want the bible to say about you?

When I was 11 years old, our family watched the TV series Roots.  Besides being horrified at the way black people were treated, I was taken with the way the history of the families on Roots were preserved so that they could be presented as history at another time.  Fascinated with history, I started keeping a diary after that; from age 11 until now, age 32 (fine, I’m 45). 

I now have a whole trunk full of diaries!

I often say half-kidding that when I die and my kids or others read my diaries they might put them down at times and say, “Wow.  I thought she was a Christian!  Now…not so much.”  I pretty much let it all hang out in those diaries.  I always have the option to burn them I suppose, but why?  Authenticity is invaluable.  Truth is freeing.  They have been the decompressing tool and connection to God that has led me to do what is right more than once! If anything, I figure my family will see that I wasn’t perfect.  Isn’t that the whole point of Jesus dying for us anyways?  We can’t do it on our own…the salvation/getting to heaven thing.

When I finally realized that Jesus Christ (the One I saw almost weekly represented in the life-sized sculpture in the front of my church) actually died on that cross for MY sins – and all I had to do was ask His forgiveness and He’d give it; I was humbled to tears of repentance and sorrow.  I was, and still am, well aware of my sinfulness.

Since that life-changing realization seeped into me at age 15, I have been living unashamedly whole-heartedly for Jesus Christ (no, not perfectly!).  After all, He saved me from my sins!  How could I do less? 

I soon found out that it wasn’t a drag to be a sincere, whole-hearted Christ-follower, but rather a total blast!  You have people hating on you, arguing with you, disrespecting you.  How fun it that?!  I’ve always loved a good conflict anyways. 

Ah, but you also have people so encouraged by your strong stands, helped by your sincere prayers, and motivated to follow Christ in the same way.  No, not because of me…but rather, Christ in me showing up to others. 

I just heard my pastor say last Sunday – with compassion, not judging:  “There are people who think that Jesus can be their Savior without being their Lord.”  That really made me think:  As LORD, God is the boss of my life.  I do what He says, even when it hurts; and it does sometimes.  I do what is right, according to God – not the popular voice of our culture – or another’s culture.  When I do something in contradiction to His word (and my heart tells me right from wrong too), then I ‘fess up and make it right.  (Dang it, that reminds me I have to call someone and tell them I outright lied to them the other day!)

It’s GOD who knows best.  Makes me wonder if Roots would not have to been part of our American story if the Christians would have listened to God and let Him be the boss.

What I mean to say is this:  How’s your life-story shaping up?  Are you like Caleb in the bible, known for his whole-hearted following of God, even in the midst of extreme opposition?  Is God the boss of your life?  Or do you claim that Jesus Christ is your Savior but don’t give Him the rightful place of being your Lord?  Can Jesus really be a person’s Savior – but not their Lord?    

It’s a good question to ask ourselves.  The Bible tells us to examine our faith to see if it is genuine.

I better go make a phone call.  Yes, Lord.  I will make that phone call today.

Peace friends.

Deuteronomy 1:34: “…..he (Caleb) has followed the Lord completely…..”  Read his story in the roots of the Israelites.  It’s recorded in Deuteronomy and other places in the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment