Saturday, January 8, 2011

Love Check - Week 1

So, I said last week that I was going to try to make love my highest goal this year (idea from the Bible - 1 Corinthians 14:1). This means treating people with love.  Love has to have an object right; something or someone to pour into?  I suppose I could make loving MYSELF my highest goal this year, or loving our DOG, or loving our YARD?  But no, I’m pretty sure what God is challenging me with this year is:  1) Loving my family, and 2) Loving others (whoever God brings in my path).  I think both are hard.

After the first couple days with lots of selfish failures, I wanted to ask God for a different goal.  But I didn’t.  I know this is the one.  One thing that struck me the very first day I tried to love others was how much I manipulated a situation to work to my advantage!!  I knew my focus was to love others – but wow did I move, avoid and restructure my circumstances so that I didn’t have to be around people who would (most likely) annoy me.  I went for the easy routes – people who were easier for me to love (be nice to, enjoy their presence, have fun with). It’s just embarrassing. I’m so sorry God!

In my family, God has given me 2 things to do to love them.  I truly hope they don’t read this blog because they will see how much I am failing!  However, I AM seeing improvement after just ONE WEEK!  And that is only because God keeps reminding me of the goal, and I keep asking Him for help!  Thanks God.

#1 – Husband loving exercise = Use less words.  Wait until he talks to me first before I speak.  Need I say more?  The poor man needs a break from my flood of verbiage.  I’m finding that speaking less is giving me a sense of peace deep down somewhere inside of me.  It feels good (and different).

#2 – Kid loving exercise.  We have 3 kids – junior high and high school.  My goal for loving them (this month anyways) is to train them (in household duties) joyfully instead of with complaint.  In order to keep my head above negativism and them encouraged, I need to speak one positive thing per kid every day about something they did well.  You’d think this would be easy.  I was amazed that by the end of several of my days this week, I hadn’t intentionally said one positive thing to them yet!  How sad!  But! How glad I was to have been paying attention! So, I would get my butt out of bed and go to whoever I missed and make sure to tell them one positive thing.  It’s like exercising a new muscle. 

I haven’t told my family of these goals.  I’d rather DO them before verbalizing them.  I’m finding, too, that unless I look at my love goals at the beginning or end (or both) of the day, I forget. 

I’m ready for week 2, Lord; only because I know you are asking this of me and that you are the One who will give me the follow through for this.

And there you have a secret of my soul!  Happy first week the New Year everyone!   God’s mercies are new every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment